IRTIQA, The Modern Housewife, Covered and Nafisa Grey (@thegreyblog) proudly announce:
The 2019 South African Muslim Women’s Short Story Competition
For Emerging Muslim, female Writers of all ages
The winner will receive the following:
- R6000 towards a creative writing course
- R500 Exclusive Books voucher
- Their story will be published by IRTIQA, The Modern Housewife and Covered Magazine
- Autographed books by award-winning author Raashida Khan, the winner of the 2017 SA Muslim Women’s Short Story Competition
- Mentoring sessions with entrepreneur Nafisa Grey (on how to take a vision and make it a reality, from paper to publication)
- An opportunity to contribute editorials to IRTIQA magazine
“Some hearts understand each other, even in silence.” ? Yasmin Mogahed
“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.”
DEADLINE: 10 October 2019
GUIDELINES FOR ENTRIES:
As this is a competition for emerging writers we will only accept stories from writers who have not been published more than
twice in any genre.
Entries are limited to South African residents
Stories must be no longer than 2000 words
The two themes may be interpreted in any way, however complete deviation from the theme will not be considered
Stories must be original works and must not have been previously published
One story per entrant allowed
Stories must be submitted via email only
Submissions must be sent to email@example.com
If you do not receive a response within 48 hours, please resubmit your story
Raashida Khan: Award-winning author and winner of the 2017 SA Muslim Women’s Short Story Competition
Yesmien Khota: Chief editor of Covered Magazine
Ayesha Desai: Author , editor and writer at The Modern Housewife
The judges decision is final.
All entries must be in ENGLISH
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
The R6000 will be paid directly towards a creative writing course of the winner’s choice. The winner will be liable for any difference in costof the course.
Mentorship between Nafisa Grey and the winner will commence after the winner is announced and will be conducted over a four month period.